City elections are conducted in accordance with the Texas Election Code and held annually on the first Saturday in May. The City of Tioga contracts election services through Grayson County Election Administration. The City of Tioga will hold a General Election on Saturday, May 2, 2020. In this election, members will be elected to fill the office of City Council Places 1, 3, and 5 for a term of two years.
NOTICE OF DEADLINE TO FILE APPLICATIONS FOR PLACE ON BALLOT
Notice is hereby given that applications for a place on the City of Tioga Regular Election ballot may be filed during the following time (Se da aviso por la presente que las solicitudes para unlugar en la boleta de la Eleccion Regular de City of Tioga se pueden presenter derante el siguiente horiario):
Filing Dates and Times (Fechas y Horario para Entregar Solicitudes):
Start Date (Fecha Inicio): January 15, 2020 End Date (Fecha Limite): February 14, 2020
Office Hours (Horiario de la Oficina): 8:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m.
Physical address for filing applications in person for place on the ballot (Direccion a fisica para presenter las solicitudes en persona para un lugar en la boleta): 600 Main Street, Tioga, Texas.
Address to mail applications for place on the ballot -if filing by mail (Direccion a donde enviar las solicitudes para un lugar en la boleta – en caso de presenter por corrco): P.O. Box 206, Tioga, Texas 76271
In the city’s general election, the filing period begins on the 108th day before election day and ends at 5:00 pm on the 78th day before election day. Applications for a place on the ballot must be filed with the City Secretary during the filing period for the election. The forms may be found on the Secretary of State website with additional forms on the Texas Ethics Commission website. Voter registration information and polling locations and times can be found on the Grayson County website.
A Campaign Treasurer must be designated and Form CTA filed with the City Secretary before any contribution is accepted or any expenditure is made. The Texas Ethics Commission generates the CTA form and instructions and the City Secretary’s Office maintains a supply of these forms.
Contributions and Expenditures
Title 15 of the Texas Election Code pertains to campaign contributions and expenditures. Financial reports must be completed by the candidate or the candidate’s Campaign Treasurer (signed only by the candidate), and filed with the City Secretary. Campaign reports are public information; and the media, opponents and the general public may review the reports.
Campaign Filing Schedule (under normal Election cycle)
Due 30th day before Election
Due 8th day before Election
Final Report – May be filed at any time after the Election
If a final report is not filed, Semi-Annual Reports will be due each year on January 15 and July 15
Qualifications for Office
In accordance with standard eligibility requirements for a city office, a candidate must:
1. be a United States citizen;
2. be 18 years of age or older on the first day of the term to be filled at the election or on the date of appointment, as applicable;
3. have not been determined by a final judgment of a court exercising probate jurisdiction to be:
(A) totally mentally incapacitated; or
(B) partially mentally incapacitated without the right to vote;
4. have not been finally convicted of a felony from which the person has not been pardoned or otherwise released from the resulting disabilities;
5. have resided continuously in the state for 12 months and in the territory from which the office is elected for six months immediately preceding the deadline for the deadline for filing an application for a place on the ballot.
6. Be a registered voter in the territory from which the office is elected as of the date of the filing deadline for a candidate’s place on the ballot.
If you have any questions please contact the City Secretary at 940-437-2351.